19 November 2015

Review: Me & My Katamari (Playstation Portable)

Ever since I first played We Love Katamari on PS2 in co-op mode with a friend I have been in love with the universe that is Katamari. I have played most installments in the series and now the time was here for Me & My Katamari. It is exactly what you would expect from a Katamari game. For those not already familiar with the concept, imagine a sticky ball that you roll around to pick stuff up. That is it. And the more time you get to roll, the larger your ball, or Katamari, can grow. From picking up dice and paper clips all the way up to picking up entire islands the game never seize to be utter fun. And it is beautifully developed for the PSP format, it runs and looks great and sports a whole bunch of challenges to overcome, cousins to collect and secret presents to open.

"refreshingly whimsical, funny, pretty, cute, engaging, addicting and inspiring .../... the King's never ending talk gets old fast"

Since it is such a regular Katamari experience (I mean this in the nicest way possible) it comes with the same old pros and cons as they all kind of do. The pros are that it is refreshingly whimsical, funny, pretty, cute, engaging, addicting and inspiring. The cons are that the King's never ending talk gets old fast and if you try to play more than an hour at any given time you can get pretty bored to be honest. The game is, even though it is extremely imaginative, a bit repetetive. There is only so much you can do with the concept "roll a ball" I guess. But it is more than enough. It is not a miniature Katamari experience for a handheld system specifically, but a full fledged Katamari game with everything intact. If you love the Katamari games you will love this. I know I did.